Good day People of GOD
I and my Father are one (John 10: 30 NIV).
So, who exactly is JESUS? Our GOD? Our Creator? Our Brother? Our Friend? YES. HE is our GOD, our Creator, our Brother and our Friend.
But, how is this possible?
First, we will address the fact that JESUS is GOD and our Creator, and that HE is part of the Holy Trinity. Then, in later posts, we will address JESUS as our Brother and Friend. One of the most hotly-debated topics in and concerning Christianity is whether JESUS is GOD. The Bible is however clear on the existence of the Holy Trinity: GOD has three personalities – GOD the Father, GOD the Son and GOD the Holy Spirit. However, JESUS said and insinuated severally, that HE is GOD. Even the prophets (Old Testament) and disciples (New Testament) spoke of GOD, the Son and the HOLY SPIRIT.
It is impossible to perfectly explain and understand the Holy Trinity. GOD is infinitely greater than human words and expressions can ever explain, so it is normal not to completely understand HIM. GOD says in Isaiah 55: 8-9:
8“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. 9“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts (Isaiah 55: 8-9 NIV emphasis mine).
The Bible teaches that there is only one GOD – in three Awesome Persons. This may be hard to understand or rationalize as some are wont to do, but this does not mean the Trinity does not exist or that it is not based on teachings of the Bible. By the way, the term ‘Trinity’ does not exist in the Bible, but it is a term coined to describe the three co-existent and co-eternal Personalities that make up GOD. So, what does the Bible say about the Holy Trinity:
- The Members of the Holy Trinity have different roles, but they are the same GOD.
- Each member of the Holy Trinity is GOD. The Father is GOD: Peter speaking to GOD’s Elect says in 1 Peter 1: 2, ‘who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance (NIV)’. JESUS the Son is also GOD: ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (NIV)’. The HOLY SPIRIT is also GOD: ‘Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? (1 Corinthians 3: 16)’.
- The Members of the HOLY Trinity are distinguished from one another. Psalm 2: 11-12 says, ‘Worship the LORD with reverence and rejoice with trembling. 12Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish inthe way, for His wrath may soon be kindled. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him (NASB)!’. Thus, the Psalmist clearly distinguishes between GOD the Father and GOD the Son, and those who claim the concept of the Holy Trinity only came up in the New Testament are wrong. Moreover, JESUS says in John 14: 16-17, ‘16 And I will pray [to] the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you (KJV).’ Here, JESUS even acknowledges the role of the HOLY SPIRIT as Comforter and that HE is not the HOLY SPIRIT HIMSELF.
- The Holy Trinity consists of three Persons. In Genesis, when GOD is being referred to, the Hebrew plural pronoun is used constantly implying more than two Persons. In Genesis 1: 26, ‘And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness…(NIV)’; in Genesis 3: 22, ‘And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil…(NIV)’. Who did you think GOD was referring to? HIS Angels? Of course, HE was referring to GOD the Son and GOD the HOLY SPIRIT – they took all decisions together. The existence of the Holy Trinity is shown clearer here: ‘16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased’ (Matthew 3: 16-17). While GOD the Son was being baptized, GOD the Holy Spirit descended on HIM like a dove, and GOD the Father spoke from Heaven of HIS Son.
- There is just one GOD. Moses says to the Israelites in Deuteronomy 6: 4, ‘Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one (NIV)’. Paul speaking of the Role of JESUS as Mediator between GOD the Father and mankind says, ‘A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but God is one (NIV)’.
- GOD the Father is the Initiator of Creation: ‘But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things… (1 Corinthians 8: 6 KJV)’; Divine Revelation, ‘The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants… (Revelation 1: 1)’; Salvation, ‘For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son… (John 3: 16 KJV)’.
- GOD the Son is the Agent through whom the Father performs creation, ‘All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made (John 1: 3)’; Divine Revelation, ‘All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him (Matthew 11: 27 KJV)’ and Salvation, ‘To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them… (2 Corinthians 5: 19 KJV)’.
GOD the Holy Spirit is the Power of GOD
- and the Means through which GOD
performs Creation and maintenance of the Universe
- , ‘
When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground
- (Psalm 104: 30)’;
- , ‘
…which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets
- (Ephesians 3: 5 NIV)’; Salvation, ‘
Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life
- (John 3: 6 NLT)’; and
- , ‘
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him
- (Acts 10: 38 KJV)’.
To conclude today, there is no natural or human equivalent of the Holy Trinity. So, it is not wise to try to understand it from the human point of view or to rationalize it. GOD’s Thoughts and Wisdom are infinitely higher than your own can ever be. Rather, focus and reflect on GOD’s Awesome Love for you. HE came and laid HIS Life down on the cross so that you can be saved and given a chance to live – on earth and in eternity. That is what matters. All Glory be to the Most High GOD, the LORD GOD of Hosts, Amen!
Have a blessed weekend everyone 🙂
P.S.: no matter who is president, JESUS is still Our King! But, please pray for the success of our leaders and the progress of your country. Jeremiah counsels: ‘Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper (Jeremiah 29: 7 NIV)’.
May the LORD bless the study of HIS Awesome Word in JESUS’ Name!
Please, leave a comment below. I want to hear from anybody who reads this post. I want to hear your views and criticism (I am still learning).
Re-blog this post, share it on Facebook, Twitter, or GooglePlus, and sign-up to have every post delivered to your inbox ♥
GOD bless you all ♥♥♥
© Daunting Facts of Christianity. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission, from this blog’s author and/or owner, is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Daunting Facts of Christianity, with specific direction to the original content at dauntingfactsofchristianity.wordpress.com.