Good day People of GOD
Today, we will focus on giving to Caesar’s what is Caesar’s, as JESUS admonished in Mark 12: 17.
13 Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words. 14 They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax[b] to Caesar or not? 15 Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”
But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” 16 They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?” “Caesar’s,” they replied.
17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”
And they were amazed at him (Mark 12: 13-17 NIV).
The Pharisees tried to trap JESUS, by asking HIM if they should pay the imperial tax to Caesar. And JESUS caught them – HE knew what they were about, and rightly said, ‘Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s’.
Essentially, JESUS was saying that if something is due unto someone else, you should pay them! Whether it is the state, local government or municipality, your boss, or anyone or any organization you owe money to, you should pay! Period. GOD is all about fairness. You may complain taxes are too high, but until the state does something about it, you should not evade taxes. Legal avoidance of taxes is OK, but evasion is not. Apart from the fact that this crime carries a heavy prison sentence in most states, it is not CHRIST-like to evade taxes or any charges you owe – to literally anyone. As long as you rightly owe them, and you know it, do your duty and pay them.
Now, let’s talk about bribery. Some people may quote the Scripture above as justification for bribery – they go, ‘Give to Caesar’s what is Caesar’s…’, and go ahead and offer what any reasonable person would call a bribe. This is NOT right at all. Be careful not to use the Word of GOD to justify sin or something that is morally and ethically wrong, so that you don’t get into trouble. ‘Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you (Deuteronomy 4: 2 NIV).’
What are other civic duties – giving to Caesar what is Caesar’s?
- Be loyal to your country: pray for your country, say positive things about it, and conduct yourself in a way that will make other nationalities respect people from your country. REGARDLESS OF WHO IS IN POWER, A MATURE CHRISTIAN WILL NEVER SAY, ‘THIS COUNTRY IS DOOMED.’ Why? If your country is doomed, you are doomed too.
- Volunteer to serve when called upon.
- Pay taxes.
- Obey all laws in your country whether you like the party in power or not.
- Register and vote at all elections.
- Serve on juries or statutory boards on whose platforms you can make a positive difference in local communities.
Finally, Paul in his second letter to Timothy says,
‘2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,… (2 Timothy 2: 1-3).’
I just want to say that you would not always be happy with whoever in in power in your country – whoever GOD puts in power in your country. GOD is very involved in the affairs of men – nobody comes into power in any country, much less one that is reputed to be the most powerful economy in the world, without GOD’s Permission (notice the triple emphasis). GOD always has a Plan; and HE would not leave HIS People or forsake them. Thus, pray for whoever is in power. Why?
- Pray for wisdom as he/she rules the country. If your president does the right thing, the country and economy would benefit, and you would benefit too. But if he makes serious mistakes that affect the economy, you and all your family and friends will be negatively affected! This is plain common sense.
- Secondly, pray for the Church in your country! That GOD should protect the Church and empower Christians to be a Light on a Hill; and Salt of the world. Pray that GOD should use the Church to bring Peace and Joy into the homes and lives of your countrymen, in such tense political times as this! Pray that the new Administration will favor the Church and all that matters to it. The Church refers to the People of GOD.
- Thirdly, pray that the new Administration will favor yourself, your family and loved ones.
- Yes, prayer is the key!
in conclusion, I speak peace and joy into your life, and I hope you take peace and joy with you everywhere you go, in JESUS’ Name!
May the LORD bless the study of HIS Awesome Word in JESUS’ Name!
Please, leave a comment below. I want to hear from anybody who reads this post. I want to hear your views and criticism (I am still learning).
Re-blog this post, share it on Facebook, Twitter, or GooglePlus, and sign-up to have every post delivered to your inbox ♥
GOD bless you all ♥♥♥
© Daunting Facts of Christianity.